Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I don't know what it is, but it likes ESPN2...

Sorry for the lack of posting last week . . . I'm a bad Dave! Bad! One of my big goals for this term was to post every week, so hopefully getting it out in front like this will spur me on. It's not like nothing ever happens here.

I gave my first test last week, and as bonus questions, asked them to write a sentence using one of the slang phrases that I've taught them. A few students got them right. Many more failed in spectacular ways. Most of the difficulties centered around the phrase "couch potato." Seems simple enough, right? Maybe to you. A few of the (erroneous) attempts at capturing this phrase follow.
- He is a couch tomato.
- I was a sofa tomato.
- We should not be couch pasta (I know it's some kind of starchy food!)
- We are sofa and Pomato on the holiday.
- My sister likes laying Tomato, she always sitting on sofa.
- Tom A Couch Plato (These are not the ultimate Doritos, but merely shadowy copies of the true form).
- you watch TV, you will be crouch potato (Looks like the three-point stance to me)

And, in a guess at "baby boomer":
- After the 2th World War, many boom babies borned.

Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dave,
Don't be too hard on yourself for not keeping up with posting. It's been a busy period here for me and I haven't been able to check your blog as often as I used to or would like to. (So I'm a Bad Mom, Bad! Dial up may have a little to do with it.) I miss you guys!
Love,
Mom W

Anonymous said...

These had me howling. :)Probably because I can imagine you reading them out loud Dave! :)